Pharmaceutical intermediates and API’s (Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients), chemicals use a range of heterogeneous or homogeneous precious metal catalyst. Present methods of recycling or filtering are crude and need a lot of manual handling. Recovery of the precious metal catalyst for recycle with least manual handling and thereby reducing losses is the goal of the industry.
- Precious metal catalysts recycle
- Commercial systems running on Pt, Pd, Rh, Ru, Ra-Ni, Pt/Zeolite etc.
- Inorganic bromide salts
- Copper Chromite catalyst recovery
- Ion Exchange Resins
Features and Benefits
- Absolute Filtration: Clear Liquid after filtration – NO recirculation of the liquid required
- Rigid media :No tearing of cloth during backpulsing
- No Loss of precious metal Catalyst – improvement in recovery. Savings for companies
- Closed system: Helps reduce operator exposure to hazardous materials, and extends catalyst life for active catalysts like Pt, Pd, Rh, Ru, Ra-Ni etc.
- Coded Vessels: Filter areas up to 200 m2, can withstands differential pressure as high as 10-20 Kg/cm2. Designed generally in accordance with ASME section VIII.
Contufilt – Membrane system consists of a number of equally sized pressure vessels each containing membrane metal filter elements arranged on a tube sheet or headers. The vessel performs the specific functions of filtration, in-situ reverse flow, gas assisted discharge of collected catalyst and when required, an in-situ soak to re-slurry the catalyst if required.
The mechanism of filtration is a direct interception of catalyst particles on the surface of the metal filter. The cake builds up from 3 mm to 25 mm depending on the type of catalyst being used. The cake resistance of different catalysts can also vary with operating conditions like viscosity of the liquids, density, temperature, pH etc.
The new ZERO HOLDUP bottom design for Batch operations and when the catalyst is to be sent for regeneration after every batch, ensures that complete liquid is removed from the vessel and zero holdup is maintained. This is very important for API manufacturing where GMP does not allow mixing of batches nor any liquid holdup is allowed.
The filter housing is made of SS 316 with Nozzles for inlet, outlet, drain, backwash fluid, vent, and pressure taps with suitable connection size and type for proper operation as per the flow parameters specified.
The housing is designed and fabricated, generally in accordance with the ASME Boiler Pressure Vessel Code, Section VIII, Division 1.Testing if required: Special requirements for non-destructive testing like radiography, liquid penetrant inspection, magnetic particle inspection, leak testing, etc. should be specified as required, and is charged extra.
The filter element integrity test can be performed on all filter elements using a nondestructive “Bubble Point Test” which correlates to its micron retention.